GET READY FOR THE 4TH ANNUAL SNO-KONA POND SKIM AT MT. HOOD MEADOWS HAPPENING SATURDAY APRIL 24, 2010
April 19, 2010, Portland, OR — Snowboarders and skiers, get ready to launch yourself across 90 feet of frigid water at the 4th annual Sno-Kona Pond Skim, where you could win a free trip for two to Hawaii. Brought to you by Kona Brewing Company, the Sno-Kona Pond Skim takes place Saturday April 24 at Mt. Hood Meadows with festivities kicking into high gear from 9 am to 4pm. The day will be jam-packed with live music, Polynesian décor, leis and other giveaways, many on-snow high jinks and of course, plentiful Kona beer sampling. The tension builds throughout the day with all contestants vying for the grand prize of a trip for two to Oahu, including round trip airfare and hotel, courtesy of All About Hawaii.
Registration is now open at the Mt. Hood Meadows site (www.skihood.com). The field is limited to 100 competitors who will take a qualifying run, and if they make it across the pond they’ll advance to the skim-offs. All competitors must be 21 or over.
The Pond Skim’s local celebrity judges will include weather and all-around outdoors guru Matt Zaffino from KGW-TV, 105.9 The Brew afternoon radio personality Bozyk and Squid from 94.7 FM. Judging will be based on: Best skimming style, Best costume, Best impression made by a woman, and Best showmanship comprised of Best costume and Best crowd reaction while skimming the pond.
“Last year we had a record amount of participants and everyone had an incredible time,” said Dave Tragethon, executive director of communications for Mt. Hood Meadows. “2009 was also the loudest year to date with the crowd really supporting the contestants trying to win that grand prize trip to Hawaii and everyone made the best of a crazy weather day. No matter what, the Pond Skim is memorable for all of us!”
- First Place - Trip for 2 to Hawaii, KEEN shoes, KEEN messenger bag, $25 REI gift certificate
- Second Place - Kona Prize Pack (includes two beach chairs, skimboard, backpack cooler, Kona beach towel, set of 12 Kona glasses), KEEN shoes, Yakima Fatcat 4 ski rack, $25 REI gift certificate
- Third Place - $50 Bamboo Grove Restaurant gift certificate, KEEN messenger bag, Yakima Big Powderhound ski rack, $25 REI gift certificate
- Best Costume - Snowboard provided by Monster Energy
- Best Costume - Yakima Big Powderhound Ski Rack
- Best Splash - Snowboard provided by Monster Energy
- Best Splash - Yakima Fatcat 4 Ski Rack
- Best Impression Made by a Female - Dakine Freestyle Bag provided by REI
- Best Impression Made by a Female - REI Ski Bag
Cost to participate in the Pond Skim is $25 per entrant online, which includes a complimentary Kona beach towel. Day of registration (at $40) will open up only if spots are available, and the event date will be changed to Sunday April 25th in the case of inclement weather.