Meadows Blog

Come on Snow

The big question - when are we going to open? Here's the scoop - we received about a foot of snow the last 36 hours. It's very light and powdery, but not ideal for building a base on. The weather forecast doesn't show much moisture after this pulse - we may have some flurries but it doesn't look like anything substantial at least before the weekend. So our "unsettled" base is around two feet in the base area. It will pack down to half that amount so we'll probably need more snow to provide the coverage we would want for opening. We'll see what the weather brings, and we'll continue to prepare.

We have begun "snow farming" - we're making snow when the conditions allow and we're transporting parking lot snow to the slopes. We're treating this snowfall as though it will be the base upon we build our season. We don't take the early snow lightly. And we're looking ahead to the next storm or series of storms to see if we have the ability to sustain an opening. We like to connect a good opening to a good season.

Our standard response to "when will you open" is "As soon as we can provide a quality product that we can sustain." According to the forecasters, we are going to have a long and snowy season - with above average snowfall. We're as anxious and excited as you are to get it going - and we'll be ready to go as soon as the snow allows! We'll keep you updated on this blog, on our conditions page and on our snow phones regarding any early opening announcements. Meanwhile, keep doing your snow dances. Come on La Nina!

Meanwhile, please enjoy this video put together by our Mt. Communications team. It was shot by Adam Fleck and Pierce Hodges - Pierce edited and scored it. You'll be seeing a lot of their work on our site this winter. Enjoy!


  1. Tara

    November 10, 2010

    When do you expect the runs to open? And isn't timberline open now?

    Meadows: We'll open as soon as we have enough snow to offer a quality experience that we can sustain. Hopefully that will be soon!

  2. Steep & Deep

    November 12, 2010

    Keep the faith folks it will be open soon and we will all be enjoying the deep powder together. As you have stated it doesn't look like a big storm is in the forecast for at least a week but then winter will take over hopefully. I still am a firm believer that if Meadows put their focus in the summer on clearing the slopes of down debri you would be able to open at least a few trails earlier in the year as other ski areas across the country do with only a couple of feet for a base. Okay I am off my soap box now and just hoping beyond all hope that you will be able to open soon.

    Meadows: Thanks! We continue to summer groom to increase the opportunity for early openings, but right now we need some more help from Mother Nature.

  3. pete

    November 12, 2010

    Nice addition with the parks updated map but what about trail open/closed info? Most other resorts provide this info like:

    Would really help particularly in early season.


    Meadows: Thanks - we'll look at these further. Once we open we do offer up a grooming report that provides a list of runs by lift that have been groomed but it isn't presented visually.

  4. k2skier

    November 17, 2010

    Would you please give all the La Nina hype a rest. The only thing a La Nina means is the weather will not be normal...and one characteristic is wild swings in weather patterns and not much snow until late November to early December (albeit the other is one were both hoping for which is above average snowfall) . Now I see why Dave R never bought into the El Nino La Nina hype...

    Meadows: Whatever is causing this current storm dumping 2 inches an hour - BRING IT ON!

  5. pow-chow-wow

    November 18, 2010

    Now that Meadows have 40” base and the snow continues to accumulate, quit your teasing already and announce that Meadows will open this weekend :)

    Meadows: With Pleasure!

  6. Armada

    November 18, 2010

    You have 40 inches, when will you be opening

    Meadows: Saturday!

  7. Petamind

    November 18, 2010

    There's 22inch snow on meadows last night, right?

    then, what are you waiting for?!!?

    Can you notice the opening data in just..approximately


  8. steelhead

    November 18, 2010

    Given the new snow over the past day, seems like an update about opening might be in order. Any news? Thanks!

    Meadows: See the upate above!

Add a comment

  2. Submit