I guess you’d expect it - the first big powder day of the season aligns with the first peak weekend of the season. While we opened lifts on time this morning, the main issue is getting to the mountain.
Here are some helpful tips to improve the commute on a popular powder day.
- Purchase Park & Ride or take the free shuttle from Hood River
- Check our conditions page and tripcheck for weather and traffic updates
- Plan on getting here early. The vehicles in the photo above arrived at 6 AM. Our main lot filled by 8:15 today with the Sunrise lot full by 9:00. HRM filled at 9:35 meaning we are into our new Twilight lot for overflow. The buses that were delayed by slow going on the road have a reserved space at the front of the lot.
- Bring a shovel to dig your car out at the end of the day. We can't plow once ODOT leaves at 5:00 AM. It's snowing an inch or two an hour, so your vehicle will be drifted in by the end of the day.
- Be safe and be alert. If you are driving your own car, be sure to have proper traction devices, and adhere to Oregon State Law regarding chain up and traction tires
- Watch our signs and parking attendants for where to park
- Car pool with your powder buddy. That way you'll have someone to practice deep snow safety once you get here.
You can also save time by purchasing your lift ticket (or renewing it) in advance, which will also get you the best price.
Most importantly - be prepared for winter driving conditions and BE PATIENT! The weather creates the conditions, but it's people who put the craziness into the commute.