Mt. Hood Meadows logo

Preparing for a blustery weekend

Categories: Guest Connection

Asit Rathod skiing photo by Richard HallmanNothing like a little La Nina whipped up weather to make it an interesting weekend. Over the next few days we are expecting heavy snow, gusty winds, mixed weather and flat out rain, possibly heavy at times. It’s somewhat a polar opposite of last Saturday’s bluebird weather.

However, it is also the last chance for last year’s pass holders to use their passes, along with those who have unused vouchers. So that adds a bit of a wildcard into this wild weather weekend.

Because of the weather, we don’t expect to have our upper lifts operating. That means our lower lifts will have added pressure - and we want to thank everyone for wearing masks (snugly over their mouth and nose) and keeping your distance. That’s going to make some of our lift lines look ginormous, due to all the spreading out. We appreciate your patience and working through the lines keeping your distance. A tip, if you feel comfortable riding up with someone else, reach out and ask. If we can get two people to pair up, that speeds up the line. If a single joins a couple, that speeds it up even more. We appreciate your cooperation in helping to make the lift maze experience better for everyone.

While we don’t expect the turnout we saw last Saturday, there is the possibility we will reach parking capacity. This will be signified by our highway sign trucks signaling “ALL LOTS FULL”. We also post our parking lot status on our conditions page. If this happens, the options include returning later or queuing up on our access road from the Hood River side and wait for any available spaces that open up. You can also drop off passengers in our enhanced drop off zone.

PLEASE DO NOT PARK AT THE TEACUP SNOPARK. We’d like to save those spaces for those accessing the Nordic trails at Teacup. It's also very dangerous to walk across the highway as there are no pedestrian crossing zones.

Last Saturday we didn’t see spaces opening up like we normally do - the weather was just too nice and our guests followed our advice to make their vehicle their lodge, and there was a lot of tailgating. With this weekend’s weather, we don’t expect as much hanging around, and there should be spaces opening up for the noon shift.

In the event our lots don’t reopen, and you can’t use your pre-purchased lift ticket, lesson or rentals, we’ll accommodate you by returning your purchase to be used on another day. Simply email us at and we can arrange that.

We are trying to be proactive on this blog, and we’re not trying to scare you away. But we want you to know what your options are in the event we have a larger turnout than expected.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.