Be here as the sun sets and the stars come out to play! Get so close you feel like you can reach out and touch them! Relax while watching the stars and constellations hover over the peak of Mt. Hood. The Rose City Astronomers will be on hand to help explain what you are seeing and where to look to see the exciting things happening. Speaking of exciting things happening in our night's sky, here are some of the things you will be able to see when the sun goes down and the stars come out to play:
- The Moon will be waxing gibbous, it will be 83% illuminated and clearly visible
- Civil dusk ends at 8:54 PM and nautical dusk ends at 9:35 PM. By then Jupiter and Saturn will clearly be visible
- Astronomical dusk ends at 10:21 PM. From that point on the sky is fully dark. The Great Red Spot, a prominent feature on Jupiter, will be visible, transiting at 11:37 PM
- Jupiter’s moon Io will begin a shadow transit at 11:39, ending at 11:41
- The other three large moons of Jupiter, Europa, Ganymede and Callisto will be arrayed out to the west of Jupiter
- Saturn's ring plane is tilted at a steep angle to our line of sight currently making for a great view of the rings
- If atmospheric conditions are favorable, then some of the larger moons of Saturn can be picked out by those with patient and keen eyes
In case of weather that makes for less than ideal viewing conditions, we will head to the Alpenstube, where the Rose City Astronomers will give a virtual presentation on the lunar landing sites from the U.S. space program, what presently is visible in the night sky, and on light pollution. There will also be a telescope demonstration to help give pointers to newer astronomers, as well as showing the pros and cons of different models of telescopes.
We will have a couple of telescopes for you to use but feel free to bring your own star viewing gear!
Make sure you're not star-searching on an empty stomach! We will be hosting our Stargazing Dinner again this summer, with an astro-inspired theme! Price is $28 for adults. $16 for kids ages 12 and younger. Reserve online in advance and save money; check out our full menu below! On August 10, we will also have live music from Elaine Cole on the Paradise Sun Deck from 3-5:30 PM!
DINNERS SOLD OUT
Want to make a day of it? We have scenic chair rides, hiking, geocaching and live music!