Time: 9 AM
Location: Mt. Hood Meadows
Category: Summer Event
RV PARKING IS SOLD OUT
Looking for a place to watch the eclipse this summer? Come up to Meadows for the Great Eclipse of 2017! We will be running the Stadium chair for scenic rides ($12 or free for 2017/18 season passholders), or you can watch from the deck. We are also offering RV spaces for August 19 and 20 leading up to the event. Spots are $50 for the two nights, and if you come on Saturday you can enjoy our Wine Festival taking place from 12 - 3 PM on the Sun Deck.
Meadows is located just outside the zone of totality (15 miles) and we expect a 97% eclipse event. For details on the eclipse experience and maps of the zone, visit our blog.
As we prepare for Monday's solar eclipse, we want to share our operational plans with you and pass along some information you'll want to have even if you aren't involved with the eclipse operation at Meadows. The event will draw an unprecedented amount of visitor traffic to Oregon, which will impact and disrupt the normal flow.
Stock up like you are preparing for a snow day. Highway, shops and visitor destinations will be crowded - very crowded. Stock up on gas, food and supplies as if it is a snow day because you may not be able to get out and about the day before or during and after the the Aug. 21 event. If you are traveling to view the eclipse, go early and leave later. Be patient in traffic and carry water, supplies and a printed highway map - don't rely on your cell phone or GPS. For tips on extending your trip (and other resource information), pick up Travel Oregon's free Eclipse Guide, available at state welcome centers for a limited time.
If you are coming to Meadows for this amazing event, here are some things we'd like you to know:
- Arrival times are Saturday and Sunday between 10 AM and 7 PM
- The Stadium chair will run for scenic chair rides Saturday and Sunday from 11 AM to 3 PM, and Monday from 8 AM to 2 PM
- We will have a limited number of Eclipse trucker hats and t-shirts for sale
- Our Wine Festival will be Saturday from 12 PM to 3 PM (21 and older only inside the wine pouring area)
- Must be in a self-contained RV as there are no facilities or hook-ups
- Please help us protect the wildlife on Mt. Hood - only walk, sit and view the eclipse in designated areas
- Plan on checking www.TripCheck.com and Google Mas for traffic conditions on your way here as well as on your way home
- We recommend taking Highway 35 as there will be extreme congestion on Highway 26 going toward Portland
- Bring your eclipse glasses with you. We have a limited number for sale here, but when they are gone we will not have any more to offer
- If you have rented an RV space up here and want to park next to friends, make sure to meet up before entering the parking lot as we will be parking RVs on a first come, first serve basis
- No open fires - it's fire season in Oregon, and we do not want any new fires starting
#OReclipse travel tips:
- Arrive early: Don't be late for your very important date!
- Stay put: Once you arrive, help others by staying off the road.
- Leave late: ODOT predicts skyrocketing congestion immediately after the eclipse when many travelers head home. Beat the congestion somewhere cool and comfortable.
- This is not game day: Treat this 3-hour event like a 3-DAY event.
ODOT will manage the state highway system as much as possible to try and accommodate the increased number of travelers. Incident response crews will park at strategic locations along many highways to help people move vehicles causing backups. ODOT does not plan to close any state highway, but sheer traffic volume could still overwhelm the system.
You can help. Plan your journey to avoid the busiest expected periods of traffic (Sunday and Monday). If you're on the road when the eclipse takes place, play it safe! Don't stop on the highway or shoulder to view the eclipse. Don't block traffic or walk into travel lanes. If another person's eyes are in the sky, they won't see you. And don't wear your eclipse glasses while driving!
This is an amazing event. Please help everyone by following these travel tips!
The parking spaces are in our main paved lot and vehicles (RVs and campers) need to be self contained as no services are provided.